Activation went great today! We got there at 1:40 (I got lost on the way!) and we were finished at about 3:30. Not too shabby. Here's what happened...
- Michelle started with electrode 22. About 4 minutes of different beeps, and nothing. She moved to electrode 20, and about 5 beeps later Brianna raised her hand. There was clapping and many smiles!
- Many, many beeps later, Michelle turned the one side on. Brianna was live, and frankly just as "Brianna" as ever. She didn't have the "jolt" of sound like I have read about. She said that everything sounded like beeps. She heard us talking, but we were talking in beeps. She described them as high pitched beeps.
Now for the Left: (the bad side)
- Lots of beeps, and Brianna started raising her hand pretty quickly. A couple times she saw Michelle press the button on the PC, and raised her hand early. So, the left ear is kind of a guess I think. We couldn't tell if she was just raising her hand or if she was really hearing. The left and right program are pretty similar.
- Michelle turned on the left side. Now we got the jolt. She said that it hurt her head. But the pain went away quickly. She kept saying that everything sounded like beeps.
So we left. Things weren't great, but they were amazing all the same. So in the car, I turned on the Disney CD and first thing Brianna said was "I hear music". Not beeps! I turned down the radio and she noticed that as well. "The music stopped." I turned it back on, I was done testing her for now.
I dropped off Brianna and my parents and went to get the other kids from school. When we all got home, I called Brianna's name and she turned around. She said "I heard you say Brianna!" I asked her if she wanted to play a game. Lets see what she can do with these new ears! So I covered up my mouth with a book, and told her to repeat what I said. Her answers are the the parenthesis.
1. Brianna (Brianna)
2. I love you. (I love you)
3. Sponge Bob (Sponge Bob)
4. Hippopotamus (Hippo-what?)
After that she was done playing, but OH MY GOD! My baby can hear! I asked her what I sounded like. She said my voice sounds like mickey mouse with a sore throat. Everyone sounds the same she said. But who cares, MY BABY HEARS!
So tonight we were getting things put away. She received so much! I haven't gone through it all, just read the manual and watched the DVD. We put the processors in the drying kit and Brianna unwillingly went to bed. She wasn't tired, and actually quite upset that she had to take off the processors. But she understands. So tomorrow we try the disposable batteries. I think this weekend we will do the rechargeable batteries to see how long they last.
I am so happy, and I know you all are as well. I do have video, but I am way to exhausted to do it tonight. I have editing to do, I am sure you all don't want to listen to the 40 minutes of beeps! Thank you all for the prayers and well wishes. We appreciate it all.