Tuesday, July 1, 2008

4th Mapping Session

So we had Brianna's 4th mapping session. I am amazed with her progress. I can tell how well she is doing when we are home and I am talking to her, but I had no idea how well she was really doing. Her audiogram showed that she is about 25-30 Db with a dip down to 40Db at 3000-6000Hz for each ear. Her word recognition was measured at about 90% with both implants. She is just amazing. Michelle the audiologist raised her levels at the 3000-6000 point and hopefully we can get them to even out. So the next appt is mid August and we will see how she is doing there.
Other than that, there isn't much to tell you all about. School is out for Brianna, and next year we are going to try no FM system, no student aid and only 1 session a week with the hearing itinerant. Brianna is a bright little girl, and hopefully we can see how well she is doing on her own. Of course if she needs more assistance that will be provided to her.
Brianna was able to talk to me on the phone for the first time ever. Well, at least the first time ever really hearing what I was saying. She heard everything I was saying, or at least enough to piece together my sentences.
She is just amazing. This whole experience has made me a stronger person, but Brianna has always been strong. This is just her. She is finally where she was meant to be. Her attitude has changed dramatically. She no longer secludes herself from her siblings and friends. She gets right out there and plays with everyone. She isn't moody and stubborn all the time anymore. The stress from not hearing and having to struggle through every day was weighing on her I am sure. But still, she was a cranky-pants. She is becoming the Brianna that I knew was always there.
Let me tell you, in case anyone needs a tip from me...earmolds. Brianna has had a set of earmolds for about 2 1/2 weeks now, and they are working wonderfully. They hold the BTE speech processor on perfectly. We haven't had them fall off once since she got them. It took about 2 weeks for them to come in, but it was worth the wait. So any parents out there that are having problems keeping the BTE processors on the little one's ears, look into earmolds. Brianna was used to them from the BTE hearing aid, so it was a very easy transition, but I do remember when she first got them with the hearing aid, she hated it. But she got used to it, and they do their job. :)

5 comments:

Laurie said...

I just checked in on your blog and am so glad that Brianna is doing so well! I feel like I am right there with you when you say that she is more outgoing and positive these days without the stress of trying to "get the message" through lipreading, etc. Having bilateral CI's has been a life changing experience for me, too, and I'm doing things I would not have done with my hearing aids.

Looking forward to more updates!

Christian and Lily's Mommy said...

Yeah Brianna! That is WONDERFUL NEWS!

Abbie said...

Gasp!

She heard on the phone for the first time?!

That is an incredible milestone! :) I'm so glad you updated, I was thinking about her the other day :)

leah said...

Talking on the phone already? Awesome!

I can't figure out how to reply, either (other than to just post a comment after the last person's comment). Anyway, Michelle is Nolan's audi, too. We're firmly in HA territory (just over the moderate line, then rising to a mild loss), but she's great with him!

Bill and Shelly said...

Earmolds have been a life saver for Allison with her new implant, even though her left side stays on with just the hook, I think we are going to get her an earmold for that one also. I just don't want to risk her losing it while she is at school next year.
It is amazing how fast Brianna is doing things. It took Allison a long time before she could talk on the phone.
Way to go, Brianna!! Can't wait to hear how school is for you next year.