Wednesday, April 9, 2008

20 Days

It is amazing to me how calm Brianna is right now. She knows there's 20 days left until surgery, and yet every day is just another day to her. I can't imagine the world that she lives in every day right now.
I spent most of my lunch hour today watching CI activation videos on You Tube. Gosh they are so emotional. Each time I watch them, I end up crying. The one that I watched today was a woman who was activated, and she couldn't hear words, but she could hear the syllables. She was visibly moved with the experience. When her CI was first turned on, she jumped and started to cry. I can't imagine how overwhelming it is. Going from nothing to these foreign sounds, noise even.
I hope that Brianna has this amazing experience, and she starts to understand what she hears quickly. I know that it will take time, and I try to keep in the back of my mind that there is a chance for them to fail. I just want her to be the exception. I want so much for her. The few weeks of waiting for activation will drag along I am sure. I just hope that she doesn't get frustrated along the way. She's one tough cookie. I know she will take this just like she does everything else and she will be fine. I just hope it is better than fine. Better than normal. Better than what she has now.

No comments: